This site will look much better in a browser that supports web standards, but is accessible to any browser or Internet device.
Become a member and enjoy stimulating conferences and meetings and receive Society publications. Come along on trips to historical sites and museums and meet new members and friends who share your interest in Michigan history. Be part of the effort to preserve Michigan's rich and diverse heritage and inspire similar values in the next generation. Membership in the Historical Society of Michigan includes
- Chronicle & Newsletter, a quarterly magazine which includes articles on Michigan's history, historical news, updates on events, conference information, helpful tips, historical activities, workshops, local society features, and many other useful things.
- Michigan History Magazine, with its richly illustrated articles conveying the vitality and excitement of Michigan History, published six times each year. Included with Enhanced Memberships.
- Michigan Historical Review, a semi-annual journal packed with the latest findings of Michigan researchers on topics ranging from Native Americans to motor moguls.
- Annual Meeting and State History Conference, a major conference for those with an interest in state and local history, held each fall since 1874.
- Annual Upper Peninsula History Conference, held annually each spring since 1950, pays particular attention to Upper Peninsula history topics.
- Mulling Over Michigan, a workshop for teachers, school administrators, museum educators and all interested in stimulating a love for history in our young people.
- Eligibility to nominate and participate in statewide Awards Programs.
- Workshops on a variety of subjects such as care and preservation of archives and development of successful oral history interview techniques.
- Participation in a statewide network dedicated to connecting people who need information about history with those who have that information.
Membership payment options:
There are several different ways you can join the Historical Society of Michigan; on the Internet via a secure web site, by phone, or by mailing or faxing a membership form with your payment.
Use a credit card on the web: (Click here for help.)
*Enhanced/business memberships include Michigan History Magazine
**Educator memberships include The Michigan Teacher
Phone: Join by calling toll-free 800-692-1828
Mail/fax: Fill out a downloadable PDF membership application and send it to The Historical Society of Michigan, 1305 Abbot Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823 or fax to (517) 324-4370